Fishing for a Future
Peru is home to the world-famous Machu Picchu, but did you know that Peru has one of the largest fishing industries in the world?
Watch how a group of divers are making a huge impact on their local ecosystem:
What do you remember?
1. Peru is one of the top __ fisheries in the world.
2. What percentage of the world’s oxygen is produced by fish-inhabited oceans?
3. How did the diver’s group respond to this crisis?
a. They closed down fishing in the region
b. They started catching only certain types of fish
c. They ignored the crisis
d. They self-regulated and put quotes on their fishing
4. How long is a diver typically submerged underwater?
a. 1-2 hours
b. 3-4 hours
c. 4-5 hours
5. How are the fishers regulating what they catch?
a. Only using small nets to fish
b. Limiting the period of time each boat can fish
c. Throwing back the undersized catch and ones with eggs
d. Only fishing certain months of the year
How does regulating one area affect the whole marine ecosystem?
Why should you ask where your fish came from and how it was caught?
Imagine this scenario here in the PNW. How would our region and climate be affected by a lack of sea animals?
What can we do to improve our oceans and preserve animal life?
Answers: 1.D 2.C 3.D 4.B 5.D
Sources: Thank you to the Nature Conservancy for this resource.