Intro to Backpacking (Day Event)
Time & Location
About the Event
6/29/20 UPDATE: Due to COVID-19, our Summer Program is canceled for this year (2020). We had hoped to host an overnight camping event. However, with the spike in new COVID cases, current regulations do not allow overnight camps in Multnomah county at this time. We have adapted, and changed this to a DAY event.
Our new plan for the day includes the following activities:
- Intro to Wilderness First Aid
- A hike through the woods with a guide and Sail2Change staff members while learning about local plants (We are still on the property for this)
- Map and compass lesson
- Scavenger hunt on the property using compass points
- Basic tarp shelters
- Intro to fire lays and safety
- Practice starting fires
- A BBQ Dinner
- Campfire time with banana boat s'mores
Start time:12 pm.
Pick up is at 8 pm.
- Closed-toed shoes/hiking boots you feel comfortable with getting dirty. (The property is hilly and requires walking on uneven ground.)
- Comfortable clothes (t-shirt, shorts or pants)
- A warmer layer for the evening
- Water bottle
- A snack if desired (A small snack, and BBQ dinner will be provided)
- Optional - sunglasses and/or hat
*All attendees must submit to a temperature check upon arrival. Individuals with a fever greater than or equal to 100.4° F will not be allowed to attend. COVID-19 does not always present with fever or new cough. Symptoms of COVID-19 include fever and new cough, as well as, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing; fever; chills; muscle pain; sore throat; and new loss of taste or smell.
**All present at the event are expected to wear a mask, and maintain social distancing of 6 ft. If there is a chance you have been exposed to the virus within 14 days of the event, please refrain from attending and stay home until that 14 day period has passed.
Children of any age should not wear a mask, face shield or face covering:
- If they have a medical condition that makes it hard for them to breathe;
- If they have a disability that prevents them from wearing a mask, face shield, or face covering;
- If they are unable to remove the face mask, face shield, or face covering by themselves; or
- While sleeping
This will take place on our Founder's land just west of Forest Park. The address shown above is very close, but the exact address will be sent in an email the week before the event.