Our Longterm Impact for the Access Maritime Program
Through our survey, we found that:
* School staff & community members think there should be more mentorship programs
* Parents & guardians are seeking more recreation outlets for their kids
* Students want job readiness training and college preparation assistance
Since you spoke, we listened! We sent out a survey to learn what services are desired by youth and families in our community. We surveyed over 250 parents/guardians, school staff/community members, and students in the greater Portland area.
We continue to provide sailing lessons with Willamette Sailing Club to offer our students intermediate sailing lessons on the Columbia River. On the virtual side, we teamed up with NauticEd - 21st Century Sailing Education to provide online sailing lessons. In the future, we will put on sailing trips where more advanced students can explore and test their skills beyond Portland. We will continue to put on and connect students to monthly recreation and educational events (some virtual).
We partnered with Journeymen Mentors to train a team of local, diverse mentors for our students to have a special person to be a positive adult role model who can help them set and achieve goals. Of course anyone working with our young people will be thoroughly interviewed and background checked for youth safety. We will engage with New Avenues for Youth (PDX) and Next Success (Vancouver) to provide students with skills to help them enter the workforce.
*Our students receive one-on-one mentorship from our trained mentors
*Students return to be a peer-to-peer mentor for new participants
*Graduated students become certified mentors/career mentors
CREATING A PIPELINE TO CAREERS IN THE MARITIME AND MARINE SCIENCE FIELDS
We partner with schools (Clatsop Community College), vocational programs, and companies to provide job shadowing, internships, apprenticeships, mentorship (all the ships!), plus career fair and other hands-on learning and volunteer opportunities for youth to get a feel for the industry. Various partnerships are in the works, but if you are in the sailing, maritime, or marine science fields, please reach out to us to see what we can create for your future workforce!
*On the water sailing hours, online sailing courses, and nautical certifications/licenses
*Job shadowing, internship, and apprenticeships.
OUR GOALS TO HELP TEENS IN OUR COMMUNITY
- Increase their self-confidence and by celebrating their individuality and expanding their skills
- Build trust and community
- Become a steward of the land and sea
- Graduate high school or obtain their GED
- Formulate and implement a plan for their first year after high school or on their own
- Gain knowledge of possible careers and higher education, especially, but not limited to those in the maritime world
- Know how to handle stressful situations in a healthy way
- Become excited and optimistic about their future!
Students are welcome to join Sail2Change (S2C) programming at any point in high school. The summer sailing lessons, training center courses, sailing trips, and internship/job shadowing opportunities open to each student are contingent upon the number of years they have spent with S2C.