Intro to Backpacking - Round 2!
Time & Location
About the Event
This event was such a success the first time around, we decided to do it again!
If you attended this event on 7/25, please allow others the chance to sign up. We will be teaching the same topics as we did the first time.
This event will include the following topics/activities:
- Intro to Wilderness First Aid
- A hike through the woods with a guide and Sail2Change staff members while learning about local plants (We are still on the property for this)
- Map and compass lesson
- Scavenger hunt on the property using compass points
- Basic tarp shelters
- Intro to fire lays and safety
- Practice starting fires
- A BBQ Dinner
- Campfire time with banana boat s'mores
Start time:12 pm.
Pick up is at 7 pm.
- Closed-toed shoes/hiking boots you feel comfortable with getting dirty. (The property is hilly and requires walking on uneven ground.)
- Comfortable clothes (t-shirt, shorts or pants)
- Water bottle
- A small pack to carry water
- A snack if desired (A small snack, and BBQ dinner will be provided)
- Sunglasses and/or hat
- A mask (required for the entire event)
*All attendees must submit to a temperature check upon arrival. Individuals with a fever greater than or equal to 100.4° F will not be allowed to attend. COVID-19 does not always present with fever or new cough. Symptoms of COVID-19 include fever and new cough, as well as, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing; fever; chills; muscle pain; sore throat; and new loss of taste or smell.
**All present at the event are expected to wear a mask, and maintain social distancing of 6 ft. If there is a chance you have been exposed to the virus within 14 days of the event, please refrain from attending and stay home until that 14 day period has passed.
Children of any age should not wear a mask, face shield or face covering:
- If they have a medical condition that makes it hard for them to breathe;
- If they have a disability that prevents them from wearing a mask, face shield, or face covering;
- If they are unable to remove the face mask, face shield, or face covering by themselves; or
- While sleeping
*** The number of children will be limited to 10 in accordance with the Oregon Health Authority ruling.
This will take place on our Founder's land just west of Forest Park. The address shown above is very close, but the exact address will be sent in an email the week before the event.