Ferro Rods and Hand Drill
There are many ways to start a fire other than matches and lighters. Today we will be talking about how to start a fire using a ferro-rod and then we will go back in time to talk about a traditional method, Hand drill.
Why bother to learn these methods given that we have matches and lighter? Ferro-rods, unlike most matches and some lighters, can work after getting wet, and learning hand drill will allow you to make fire with only the things you may find in the forest.
Watch how Aerin demonstrates proper ferro-rod use and hand drill methods.
Are you ready to try it for yourself?
1. Why is fire safety important?
2. What helps to keep the spark from the ferro rod lit?
3. Should your spindle be of soft or hard wood?
4. What does all fires need to survive?
Why do you think it's important to "carry your fire in your mind and in your muscles?"
What methods have you used in the past?
1. An uncontrolled spark can start a house fire, or ignite a forest fire.
3. Soft wood
Video and lesson by Aerin de Leon